Thursday 22 October 2015

Inspiration: Kris Carr

As lots of you may know Kris Carr was the woman that inspired me to change my life. She helped me discover healthy living and plant based goodness. I don’t know where I’d be now if I hadn’t read her first book, Crazy Sexy Diet, but I’m eternally grateful that I did. As soon as I read her book I knew I had to change the way I lived. The second I finished it I overhauled my diet and lifestyle, which has been hands down the best thing I’ve ever done. I’m so honoured and unbelievably excited that Kris has done this interview with us here! It’s crazy to think that Deliciously Ella has grown to the point that my health guru knows who I am and wants to do a feature for my blog – honestly it gives me goosebumps. Anyway to all of you that already know and love Kris, then I hope you enjoy this inspiration feature, and for anyone that’s new to Kris then I hope you find her as inspiring and life changing as I do.

c

Name: Kris Carr

Where do you live? I live in a lovely little town called Woodstock, NY. It’s most famous for the 1969 concert that never happened here, and the peace movement that did.

What sparked your interest in health and wellness? When I was diagnosed with an incurable, stage IV cancer, I knew it was time to get really serious about taking care of myself. Up until that point I didn’t know what to eat to nourish my body or how my thoughts affected my overall wellbeing. I was basically on cruise control until cancer woke me up. And though I still have cancer and have been living with it for over a decade, I believe it’s possible to be healthy and happy, no matter our circumstances. It takes a little work, but the rewards are great. I feel so much better today than I even did before I had cancer and that’s a result of being kinder to my body and my spirit. Not to mention, eating my veggies!

How did you build your passion for healthy living into a career? Well, that certainly wasn’t the plan. I started filming my journey as a creative outlet for all my fears, grief and questions. After a few years I realised I had some pretty important things to share. That’s when I decided to also write books and create a blog. Because people responded to what I was saying, I knew I needed to continue and to also write for a larger audience that included people who didn’t have cancer and were just looking for a healthier way to live. My work was born out of my love for people; it’s one of the things I’m most proud of and it often doesn’t feel like work, though there certainly are many long, intense hours.

Who inspires you? Animals.

Favourite quote? Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. — Rumi

What is your biggest achievement so far? Honestly, my biggest achievement is an ongoing practice — it’s being kind and compassionate to myself and others. Yes, there’s been some outward success. I’ve had several New York Times best sellers, made an award-winning film for TLC and OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, have been on the Oprah show, etc. And while I’m proud of all that and more, the achievements I strive for now are very different. I continue to want to make a positive impact while also deepening and enriching the time I have on this spectacular planet!

Have you always been into fitness or was it something you learnt to enjoy in recent years? My first career was as a professional dancer, so yes, I have always loved moving and have been pretty serious about it since I was a child. Though these days, what feels good in my body is very different. At 44, I’m more connected to ease and gentleness than I was at 24. Though I do love to mix it up with some hardcore cycling.

a

What’s a typical daily workout for you? Well, it depends on my travel and writing schedule, but generally I try to move everyday. I walk or do yoga, take mini-dance breaks or go for a long bike ride. Even if I only have 15 minutes I still do something. When I’m too stationary everything suffers, especially my creativity and my happiness. Boy, do I get cranky!

What’s the one piece of equipment you can’t live without? I can’t just pick one! My juicer and blender :)

What are your favourite ways to stay active? Well, I listed some of them above but I will also say that for me, staying active is about being more active in your day to day life, not just formal exercising. Can you climb stairs instead of taking the escalator? Park a little further away from the store? Go outside to touch your toes and the earth on your lunch break. Staying active also takes shape creatively. I need to engage my mind and my muse to feel whole-body balance. Gardening, reading novels, writing and listening to great music, and engaging in soul-stirring conversation all keeps me inspired too. Mentally and physically active, that’s the perfect balance.

What’s your typical…

Breakfast: green juice or a smoothie, avocado toast

Lunch: soup and salad (mostly from my garden)

Snack: homemade trail mix, hummus with gluten-free crackers, cherry tomatoes, apples with almond butter, leftovers!

Dinner: Vegan chili or a Buddha bowl (quinoa, avocado, a kitchen sink’s worth of veggies, tempeh, hemp seeds, flax oil + sea salt = yum), gluten-free pasta, salads, stir fried veggies with baked tofu, falafel, veggie dumplings, pad thai, Asian noodle bowls, veggie burgers—basically everything that’s simple, delicious and plant-based.

What’s your favourite dessert? Dark chocolate!

Where are your favourite places to eat? Honestly, I mostly cook at home, but when I’m in NYC I love Candle 79.

What is your beauty routine? It’s pretty low maintenance. In fact, I don’t wear much makeup on a regular basis. I wash my face, put on some moisturizer and off to work I go. Some of my favorite skincare products include: Jurlique rose cleanser and Tata Harper body oil (or just plain coconut oil). A few fave makeup products are W3ll people mascara, Beauty Counter lip sheer and RMS uncover up.

Where’s your favourite place in the world? Home.

What makes you happy? My family, my job, my life. Spending time in nature and with my animal friends. Oh, and haggling at flea markets, long drives, vinyl records and winter bonfires. I also love swimming at night.

Describe your perfect day. Wake up early, before everyone else, light a candle in the dark, set my intention for the day, read, journal and connect with myself, then make a smoothie or a green juice (though I do love a good cup of strong coffee every now and then). A long walk with my dogs and husband on the trails behind my house. One of our dogs has ALS so he’s disabled and in a wheelie cart. He still loves charging through the woods, though. Thankfully his cart is really sturdy! Because I love cooking, that’s a big part of a perfect day. Having friends over for dinner, then watching an awesome movie (I love action films!) and going to bed early. I’m a morning person who loves 8 hours of sleep, so I’m usually toast by 9:30 pm.

Do you have any favourite tips and tricks to stay healthy and happy everyday? Do what brings you joy and don’t be so hard on yourself. Self-care is a practice. I also have to mention juicing and blending; they’re at the core of my wellness routine. Juicing or blending up a boatload of produce and superfoods is an efficient (and tasty!) way to pack in the good stuff that makes us feel vibrant. My newest book, Crazy Sexy Juice, details the whys and hows of juices and smoothies, and features 100+ simple and delicious recipes, including a 3-day cleanse. I love love love my super-drinks, and have seen significant improvements in my health and happiness since adding them to my diet. I want to equip others with the knowledge and recipes they need to fit juicing and blending into their lives—I want everyone to experience the benefits! And because I want to support everyone’s overall health, I’ve also created some wonderful bonuses for everyone who purchases the book. They include a meditation album and one-day Wisdom and Wellness virtual workshop. Cheers!

b

The post Inspiration: Kris Carr appeared first on Deliciously Ella.



from Deliciously Ella http://deliciouslyella.com/inspiration-kris-carr/
via Free Spiritual Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment