Sunday 19 July 2015

Inspiration: Rhian and Spin Obsessions!

bb

As lots of you know my New Year’s resolution was to get fit and I’m having so much fun doing it! One of my favourite discoveries has been spinning, I am totally obsessed. I go to an early spin class every Monday morning, it’s a non negotiable part of my calendar and I just love it – it always starts the week off on the best note. I’ll spin anywhere really but my favourite spin studio is Psycle, it’s awesome. There are lots of great instructors but Rhian is the absolute best and she’s in the most amazing shape, so I thought she’d be a fun person to chat to and get some inspiration from!

Name: Rhian Stephenson

Where do you live? Primrose Hill, London

What sparked your interest in health and wellness? 

I have always been active – my mother was an professional athlete and I got into competitive swimming when I was 11 years old. I did well at swimming and made the national team, but I was always a really sickly child. Ear infections, stomach issues, bronchitis, strep throat, and sinus infections plagued me – it felt like I was always sick. I went to every doctor and finally my mother took me to see a naturopath. I found out I was allergic to dairy and once I cut it out, balanced my hormones and strengthened my system I totally thrived – in sport and school.

How did you build your passion for healthy living into a career?  

In school I always loved science, and after I went through such a profound change in my health I was so amazed at how one thing could effect my health in such a negative way. Learning about nutrition, exercise & metabolic function, and the underlying biology of it all was super inspiring for me. I loved being able to learn how I could feel my best, train harder, perform better and generally be happier. It got me really excited to help other people learn about their health and see how they can feel their best.

Who inspires you? 

It’s hard to pinpoint one person. My friends, my grandma, my team at Psycle. One thing that really inspires me is watching my riders transform at Psycle. We’ll have people come to Psycle who are self conscious, unfit and totally intimidated by the thought of working out and within weeks you can see them literally transforming. They start to push harder, let go of their insecurities, and you can see their confidence sky rocket. I love seeing them go from never having worked out to rocking the sprints and power intervals in the front row. It’s amazing to see.

Favourite quote?

I actually love one of the quotes we have at Psycle. “I’ve decided to be happy because it’s good for my health” – Voltaire

What is your biggest achievement so far? 

Stepping into CEO of Psycle has been the most challenging and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

cc

Have you always been into fitness or was it something you learnt to enjoy in recent years?

I’m lucky that I got into sport at a very early age, so fitness for me isn’t a chore or stress. It’s totally engrained into my life and I love it.

What’s a typical daily workout for you?

I ride at Psycle 4 times per week. When I don’t ride I’ll do 1 yoga session and one HIIT or weights session per week. I don’t like going to the gym so last year I bought a TRX and it’s totally changed the way I workout – being able to jog to the park and workout pretty much anywhere has been amazing.

Where do you get the inspiration from to develop so many unique forms of exercise routines?

When I was a swimmer we used to do loads of different types of cross training – everything from weights, boxing HIIT and calisthenics, to pilates, yoga and hiking. It really ignited my interest and passion in exploring everything that’s out there and constantly changing it up. It was so interesting and fun and every exercise benefitted the body in a different way – and that’s what I love now. To see how you can combine functional movements to challenge the body and mind while keeping it fun and stimulating.

What’s the one piece of equipment you can’t live without?

My Vitamix.

What are your favourite ways to stay active?

Psycle! After that I love Yoga, and then I’ll do a run and park workout each week.

What’s your typical…

Breakfast: Superfood smoothie bowl.

Lunch: There is a great Vegetarian place around the corner from my office called Ethos; they have amazing salads, lentils and veggie stews.

Snack: I only snack on days I workout in the evening, and I generally have carrots & hummus, a home made energy ball or a cold pressed juice.

Dinner: Grilled fish & greens and then either sweet potato or a pseudo grain salad. I love eating raw dishes so in the spring and summer I often have courgette spaghetti or some other spirulized dish.

aa

What’s your favourite dessert?

Raw blueberry cheesecake.

Where are your favourite places to eat? 

Mediterrano in Notting Hill, Nama (for Raw), Lemonia, Grangers.

What is your beauty routine? 

I use the clarisonic on my face and then I always follow it with a serum from Skinceuticals – Hyrating B5 in the morning and a few times per week I use the Age & Blemish Defence. For me though, diet and exercise is far more important to my skin than what I use on it. I notice a huge different if I can’t eat clean or get a good workout in. Cardio is one of the best things for your skin because it helps with circulation and the elimination of toxins, so a good sweat is essential for me!

Where’s your favourite place in the world? 

It’s hard to pick one! But my all time favourite place is my cottage in Muskoka, Canada. The lake and forest is absolutely stunning and I have so many memories from growing up there that it’s the place I feel happiest and most at peace. In terms of places I’ve been on holiday – Bali was amazing. The scenery and food was incredible and the people there were so kind and inspiring.

What makes you happy? 

Friends, cooking, exercise, travelling.

Do you have any favourite tips and tricks to stay healthy and happy everyday? 

Exercise and nutrition should be a part of your lifestyle – so the easiest way to stay healthy and happy is to find out what types of exercise you enjoy and commit to them. For me exercise and food are non negotiable. Schedule in your workouts and make sure they are activities that make you happy. It’s the same with food. If you factor in a few simple practices – start off your day with water & lemon, get something green in at breakfast, avoid sugar & refined foods – you’ll notice a snowball effect and it will get easier and easier to stay healthy. One of the incredible things about our bodies is that they self regulate, so once you have been healthy for a month or so if you do end up choosing foods that are unhealthy or don’t suit you then you will really notice it and it makes it really easy to steer clear of them. It becomes an easy choice rather than feeling like a chore. Staying healthy and happy is actually quite simple, but we tend to over complicate it and worry too much. Learn to listen to your body and instead of getting upset or frustrated if you have a craving or low energy, try to instead work out what it means. One of the ways I feel healthiest is by responding to my body and how it feels.

dd



from Deliciously Ella http://deliciouslyella.com/inspiration-rhian-and-spin-obsessions/
via Free Spiritual Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment