Tuesday 21 July 2015

Advice: Staying Healthy on the Plane

c

As summer holidays approach and lots of us get excited about escaping to a sunny spot I thought now would be the best time to talk about staying healthy on your travels, especially on the plane. There’s nothing worse than arriving at your destination feeling tired and bloated after eating a lot of plane food and a few too many airport snacks! With a little preparation it’s so easy to avoid this so I thought I’d share all my tips and tricks with you, so that you’ll feel awesome and ready for a great holiday!

Take a good meal

Make sure you pack a big lunch. You can take any food on the plane, just as long as there are no liquids or pastes – sadly this means no hummus, nut butters or pesto but anything else is great. I normally take a big, hearty salad as it makes me feel great, something like my roasted butternut squash quinoa or my carrot, lentil and raisin salad. You can top them with some avocado, extra sweet potato wedges or roasted chickpeas to bulk them out more too. Some airlines don’t give you cutlery if you’re not eating their meal, so pick some plastic cutlery up from a coffee shop before you get on the plane and that way you know you’ll be able to dig in whenever you want!

If you need breakfast then stick to easy things, like my date and oat bars or chewy sultana cookies, these are great as you know no one will confiscate them and they’re easy to eat anywhere. Things like overnight oats and chia puddings are trickier as sometimes people claim they’re too liquid and try to take them away at security!

cookiesblog

Have twice the amount of food you might need

This sounds a bit mad but it works for two reasons. Firstly it means that if you’re suddenly really delayed you have plenty of deliciousness to keep you going. And secondly it stops you from wanting plane food! Planes are always times for eating as they’re really long and often pretty boring, and if everyone around you is chomping away then you’ll want to be able to do that too – I always get food envy otherwise! So be generous and make sure you have enough to keep yourself properly full and occupied during times of extreme boredom.

Pack snacks   

For the same reason you’re going to need lots of snacks! Stick to portable snacks that can’t melt, which means no raw chocolate or anything sticky. I normally go for the date and oat bars or chewy sultana cookies I mentioned above, energy balls, raisin and ginger nut bars or my roasted thyme and tamari nuts – they’re all so easy to pack and taste amazing! Plus you can make extra to enjoy once you’re at your destination as they all last for ages.

energybitesblog

Eat something nutritious before you fly

Try to have a really nutritious meal full of rainbow goodness before you get on the plane. I normally go for a big smoothie full of just about everything I can find from spinach to banana, berries, oats, hemp seeds, almond butter, nut milk, chia seeds, superfood powders and anything else I can find. Baobab is a especially great as it’s full of vitamin C, which will help you fight off any colds floating around.

Stay hydrated

Make sure you drink lots of water before, during and after the flight – it’s a simple thing to do but it really helps you feel so much better! I always buy two big water bottles at the airport if I’m taking a long haul flight and I’ll finish them before I get off the plane. Using a water bottle rather than cups of water is great as it means you can really keep track of how much you’re drinking so you won’t get dehydrated.

Avoid alcohol

To stop the dehydration try not to drink on the flight, I know this sounds so boring but it will really help you feel fresh and healthy when you land. Plus this way you can look forward to celebrating your arrival with something delicious while you sit on the plane!

Get some stretch in

Once you’re on the plane make sure you get some movement in. Sitting upright for long periods of time isn’t ideal for your body so try to get up and just walk up and down the aisle of the plane every hour or so. Then when you’re waiting for the loo try to stretch a little and just get your blood circulating. When you get off the plane 10 minutes of yoga on your bedroom floor will also make you feel amazing, just twist and stretch until your body feels happy again!

Exercise to beat jet lag

I know this sounds a bit mad but I promise it works, nothing helps fight jet lag like getting a serious sweat on. Last year I spend a lot of time in LA and this was the only thing that helped me beat the eight hour time change. I used to go spinning before and after my flight, I appreciate that this sounds a little psycho and trust me it was the last thing I wanted to do as I was so exhausted but it meant that my body was tired enough to sleep and I adjusted so quickly to my new routine. You don’t have to go as extreme as that but just a good walk, run, swim or gym session will do wonders!

b



from Deliciously Ella http://deliciouslyella.com/advice-staying-healthy-on-the-plane/
via Free Spiritual Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment