Thursday 17 September 2015

Inspiration: Sadie from Hip & Healthy

a

Name: Sadie Reid, from Hip and Healthy (my favourite site for workout stuff!)

Where do you live? London

What sparked your interest in health and wellness? I was lucky enough to have a mum who was completely devoted to giving her children a great start in life, which for her began with healthy, organic food. My love of fitness came much later and it wasn’t until I felt the benefits of leading an active lifestyle; great skin, more energy, felt happier, that I really became hooked. But who wouldn’t become hooked on something that makes you feel totally amazing!

How did you build your passion for healthy living into a career? I will let you in on a little secret… Hip & Healthy was not my first ‘entrepreneurial’ venture into the health and fitness industry. I actually started with a small magazine I created called “Health Henley” (due to it only being distributed in Oxfordshire’s Henley-on-Thames). This was the first thing I did in the world of work after University and although it was not an instant success, it taught me so much! I learnt how to write, sell advertising, piece and layout an entire magazine, I taught myself InDesign, read books on negotiation and even delivered by hand most of the print run myself! I managed to break even on the whole project and was pleased with that as it was this that led me eventually to my job at Conde Nast, (I sent the first copy to a Publisher at Conde Nast Traveller magazine!). Three years into the role at Conde Nast I was granted a 6 month sabbatical to live in Hong Kong with my boyfriend and that gave me the time to really think about my future. For a long time I had felt that my future was in the health and fitness industry… there just wasn’t a huge industry at the time here in the UK. So my only hope was to create a new job in health and fitness, and then Hip & Healthy was born. First as an online magazine, and later we added the online activewear store. It was super hard work as I couldn’t afford to give up my job at Conde Nast (once my sabbatical had ended) and so I worked on Hip & Healthy in the evenings, mornings and lunch breaks. I would even run the 8k to and from work to make sure that I was still keeping fit. It was worth the effort though as I left Conde Nast after 1.5 years of this routine and moved over to H&H full time after I got married and I have never looked back.

Who inspires you? The list is long… My mum, my sister, my husband, my colleagues, about 15 Instagram fitspos and health junkies including you of course! Other female entrepreneurs especially those who have had children as the road gets rocky (although a wonderful, divine, beautiful rocky) once you head down that path!

Favourite quote? “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough” Mae West

What is your biggest achievement so far? Probably creating something that people not only want to buy from, read and enjoy clicking through, but also want to be a part of. I am so grateful for the awesome team I have. That, and creating a beautiful, healthy son…

b

Whats your typical

(Please note that these days I have VERY little time to whip up yummy, healthy meals so every single one of these takes around 5 minutes to create!)

Breakfast: Gluten-free porridge with coconut milk, raw sprouted buckwheat, blueberries, raspberries, millet and flax seeds OR rye bread and avocado!

Lunch: I eat out most days, I tend to go for Wholefood’s guacamole and some sort of gluten-free crackers (this has become somewhat of an office staple) or I get the Detox Miso from Itsu on colder, rainy days.

Snack: My Sister, Naturally Sassy’s, bars are the best! My faves are the Flapjack or the Brownie!

Dinner: Salmon with fennel and pomegranate cooked in coconut oil with baked sweet potato and watercress salad | Qunioa with mixed veg and coconut milk | brown-rice pasta with tomato, mixed veg and capers

What’s your favourite dessert? Avocado Chocolate Mousse! So simple and so yummy.

Whats the best recipe youve ever made? For our Hip & Healthy Recipe E-Book I created a lentil dahl that I still love love love as it is so easy to make and just hits the spot when you’re feeling like munching on something warming and delicious.

What are the ingredients you cant live without? Avocados, coconut oil, sweet potatoes and lemons

Where are your favourite places to eat? I love Asia de Cuba for its pan-asian menu and hip vibe, Tanya’s Cafe for their amazing array of vegan treats, The Detox Kitchen for their vegan brownie and delicious salads and Daylesford for their Almond Milk Lattes and yummy brunches.

What do you do to stay active? I mostly run but I also love to go to Paoloa’s Burn Class at her studio as well as mix in the odd bit of spinning. Plus I have also just started doing hot yoga again after many months of not whilst I was pregnant and then breastfeeding. I really missed it!

What is your beauty routine? I use Emma Hardie face cleanser to remove any dirt or makeup before applying Oskia serum followed by Eve Lom moisturiser (they do a great one for pigmentation which I really annoyingly have!) and then apply an eye cream from Ren. All this is pretty futile these days though as I have a ten month old baby that wakes up a lot so despite being super strict with my beauty regime, I look about 100 years old…

Do you have any favourite natural skin care products or awesome beauty recipes? Hurraw Lip Balm is a deliciously natural product that protects my lips from the weather come wind, rain or shine.

Wheres your favourite place in the world? Como Shambhala, Parrot Cay in the Caribbean – it is centred, spiritual, beautiful, luxurious and holistic. L.A comes a very close second though.

What makes you happy? My son giggling. Sunny picnics in the park. Running along the river. Watching a cosy film with my husband. Going on holiday in the South of France.

Describe your perfect day. It would kick off with a run along the river, followed by a delicious healthy brunch with the family. I’d have a massage in the afternoon and then take Max, my son, to the park. See friends for tea or catch a yoga class followed by a delicious dinner with my husband somewhere trendy! Then I would want to come home and curl up in front of a film because I am not trendy at all and like nothing more than to watch a great flick at home whilst munching on Om Bars.

Do you have any favourite tips and tricks to stay healthy and happy everyday? There is a wonderful quote by the philosopher, Lao Tzu, that I try and remember each day as I think it is a great reminder to enjoy the now rather than constantly worrying about or wishing for things in the future or dwelling on things in the past… it is ; “If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

Peace and Love, Sadie x

The post Inspiration: Sadie from Hip & Healthy appeared first on Deliciously Ella.



from Deliciously Ella http://deliciouslyella.com/inspiration-sadie-from-hip-healthy/
via Free Spiritual Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment