Friday 22 July 2016

FOR THE LOVE OF FOOD: Your favorite foods are fake, insulin is off the hook, and the trouble with late night eating

For the Love of Food

For the Love of Food

Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve done any blogging here at ST. If you subscribe, you know it’s because I lost my father in early June and decided to take some time to myself this summer. I’m still not all the way back in the saddle, but I was compelled to put together some links this week. I included a few more than the usual ten links since I’ve been away for so long.

This week your favorite foods are fake, insulin is off the hook, and the trouble with late night eating.

Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app I just discovered to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!

I also share links on Twitter @summertomato and the Summer Tomato Facebook page. I’m very active on all these sites and would love to connect with you.

Links of the week

  • Everything we love to eat is a scam <<After eating in NYC for over a year now, this doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been shockingly underwhelmed by the food here (yes, I’ve tried your favorite places, obviously there are exceptions), and all I can point to as to why is that the food just isn’t as flavorful as it is in SF or any of my other favorite food cities (e.g. PDX, Tokyo, Copenhagen) where there is more emphasis on the source of the ingredients rather than the talent of the chefs. As described at the end of this article, once you have tasted the difference it isn’t as easy to be fooled. (NYPost)
  • NuSI-funded Study Serves Up Disappointment for the Carbohydrate-insulin Hypothesis of Obesity <<Wow. This study pretty strongly tested the ability of a low-carb, ketogenic diet to increase metabolism and it was a bust. Insulin is surely an important factor in obesity, but it doesn’t seem to be the driving force behind all the problems as many people have suggested. (Whole Health Source)
  • How the Government Supports Your Junk Food Habit <<The reason processed foods are so much cheaper than Real Food isn’t because fruits and vegetables are uniquely expensive. It’s because our tax dollars drive the cost down of processed foods via government subsidies. New research shows that eating these subsidized foods directly links to metabolic disorders. This points to a pretty obvious solution if you ask me. (NY Times)
  • Parents Should Avoid Comments on a Child’s Weight <<I can still hear the echoes of my mother and grandmother commenting on my body and eating habits from 25 years ago. As girls, we remember. (NY Times)
  • Why Exercise Actually Does Matter for Weight Loss <<Although I generally agree that “you can’t out run a bad diet,” it’s refreshing to read an actual nuanced description of the role of exercise in weight loss. (Mark’s Daily Apple)
  • To Create a Habit, Tell a Good Story <<While I disagree with Leo’s description of an ideal world where we have no personal stories, I 100% agree that changing your personal narrative is the key to lasting behavior change. (Zen Habits)
  • It’s More Important To Teach Your Kids to Cook Than to Play Soccer <<Amen. (Weighty Matters)
  • Is ‘when we eat’ as important as ‘what we eat’? <<I’m so happy to see that circadian rhythms are finally getting the attention they deserve in the weight control research. If you have a habit of staying up late watching TV and can’t figure out why the pounds won’t budge, start thinking more about what cues that habit is sending your brain. (ScienceDaily)
  • Two huge new studies further undermine the “obesity paradox” <<While I think fat shaming is deeply unhealthy for all of us as a society (and sadly this research may fuel it), I also think it’s important to be realistic about what is healthy and what isn’t. Staying as close to the healthy BMI range to the best of your ability is still optimal. (Whole Health Source)
  • Study Reveals That Eating ‘In Moderation’ Is A Fool’s Errand <<I don’t want to say I told you so, but… well….
  • chicken gyro salad <<I just returned from Greece so I’m pretty much obligated to share this recipe today. (smitten kitchen)
  • This American Life 589: Tell Me I’m Fat <<Shaming, whether public or private, is worse than just mean. Shame shrinks a person’s sense of self-worth, creating stress and a multitude of negative cognitive consequence that––contrary to the intentions of the jerk dishing it out––actually makes it even harder for the victim to achieve her goals. Obesity isn’t an issue of self-control, so it’s time to stop thinking of it as one. What we really need is more empathy for each other’s very real struggles, and I applaud NPR for this brilliant piece on fat shaming.

 

What inspired you this week?



from Summer Tomato http://summertomato.com/for-the-love-of-food-your-favorite-foods-are-fake-insulin-is-off-the-hook-and-the-trouble-with-late-night-eating
via Holistic Clients

No comments:

Post a Comment