Monday 26 March 2018

Even Runners Need Yoga

yoga for runners - yoga with adriene

I’ve spent A LOT of time running lately. Obviously “a lot” means different things to different people, but I’ve been running 40-45 miles a week for the last few months. My goal for 2018 is to run 1,700 miles, which requires a pretty consistent daily effort. I’ve tried to mix in some yoga and weight-training, but unfortunately I probably haven’t been doing enough regular non-running exercise to steer entirely clear of the injury bug. I really should know better!

Luckily I haven’t encountered any major afflictions, but a few small irritations–mainly with my feet–have reminded me that it’s not healthy if I can run 15 miles, yet can’t manage to walk normally from one side of the kitchen to the other. Hence, after I put in a few miles this morning running through the virtual Zwift world on the treadmill (more on Zwift in a later post), I decided to see if Youtube yoga sensationYoga with Adriene, had any good routines for runners. Happily, I quickly found that Adriene had a handful of runner-focused yoga practices.

If you’re looking for a great way to loosen up some of your running muscles, this 30-minute video is a perfect place to start. My hips, hamstrings, quads, and calves loved every minute of this practice…and they’ve been thanking me all day for finally giving them some much-needed yoga attention.

Yoga with Adriene also has a few more sequences for warming up and cooling down.

Here are a few pre-run routines:

And here are a couple post-run sequences:

In addition to my running goal this year, I now have a new goal to integrate yoga into my daily running routine. To keep it simple I think I’ll stick with these videos for the next month (thanks Yoga with Adriene!). I get the feeling that a little more yoga is exactly what I need. I’ll let you know how it goes. Just remember, runners need yoga too!

Read more on Daily Cup of Yoga
5 Best Yoga Poses for Runners Although running and yoga may seem like activities that are on opposite ends of the spectrum, they really are complementary activities that work t...
Enlightened Exercise Men cannot see their reflection in running water, but only in still water. --Chuang Tzu, philosopher (c. 4th century BCE) It seems like thos...


from Daily Cup of Yoga http://dailycupofyoga.com/2018/03/26/even-runners-need-yoga/
via Holistic Clients

No comments:

Post a Comment